The HD-Player Model 4 is a digital audio player meeting high demands concerning design, usability and sound quality
The HD-Player Model 4 is designed as a fully integrated digital playback device, requiring nothing more than an amplifier and loudspeakers. The Player handles practically all digital formats available today – regardless whether from the internal hard drive or from an online streaming provider – at best-in-class sound quality. Controlling it is conveniently done through a mobile device, like a tablet or mobile phone.
The engineering effort is reflected in the implementation of only-the-best selected components as well as in the complex chassis construction dividing the whole unit in a number of separate compartments in order to minimize interference between the functional units or in the separate power supplies for each functional unit.
The digital/analogue converter alone utilizes 2 torodial transformers. The converter board is completely galvanically isolated to maximize signal-to-noise ratio. The selected R-2R NOS converter chips feature integrated I/V-conversion, so that no external output stage is required. Since four chips are implemented per channel, they produce sufficient power to drive any downstream equipment, so that the signal path is kept to an absolute minimum.
The overall result of all this effort is a breathtakingly realistic and emotionally involving listening experience.
What the experts say
The renown online magazine ‘HiFi-Statement‘ has tested the HD-Player Model 4 in 12/2018 and concludes that its sound quality is “simply closer to the analogue original” than reference digital devices many times its price level.
You can find the full review here.
- 4 TB of internal storage capacity (stores approx. 11,000 CDs in FLAC format)
- Support of all common audio file formats: Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Opus, APE, WavPack, MP2, MP3, ALAC, MP4/AAC, AIFF, MOD, Musepack, wave files, Dff, Dsf etc.
- Playback of all PCM-formats with a bit depth of 16bit to 24bit and all sampling rats of 44.1kHz to 192.0kHz as well as all DSD-formats to 128x
- Playback of DSD 64x and DSD 128x via PCM-conversion to 24bit /176.4kHz ***
- Integrated online streaming services: Qobuz, Tidal
- Gapless playback
- Optional up-sampling to 176.4kHz respectively 192.0kHz
- Optional loudness normalization via ReplayGain****
- Optional software volume control
- Non-oversampling DAC; no digital filters** for an analogue sound image free from digital artifacts
- Four R-2R Ladder DACs per channel
- No current/voltage conversion or analogue output stage, since the selected DAC-modules deliver sufficient Voltage themselves. This enables shortest-possible signal path
- Full galvanic separation of all the boards to exclude any electromagnetic interference between them
- Output voltages: RCA: 2.0 Vrms
- Output impedance: RCA: 85 Ohm
- Frequency response: 1Hz (0dB) up to half the sampling rate (-3dB)
- Distortion: < 0.03% THD
- Signal-to-Noise: -120dB at 16Bit; -125dB at 24Bit
- Slew Rate: 35V/mS
- Separate power supply for DAC
- Analogue Out: 1 x RCA Stereo
- Digital Out: 1 x SPDIF
- USB-Data Connection: 2x USB 2.0
- Network Connection: 1x Ethernet
- Massive chassis made from aluminum with separate internal chambers for all functional sections in order to minimize electromagnetic and vibration interference
- 3 level damping absorber feet
- Finishes: brush-finished Aluminum, silver or black anodized, with side panels with various options in aluminum or wood
- Dimension: 255 x 140 x 360 mm (W x H x D)
- Weight: ca. 10 kg
|**||To protect down-stream equipment, the DAC features a mild 1st-order 70kHz analogue filter at the output stage|
|***||Conversion from DSD to PCM is a virtually lossless process (in contrast to conversion from DSD to PCM), achieved through a simple decimation filter. Since 64xDSD corresponds roughly to 20Bit / 96kHz and 128xDSD to 22Bit / 120kHz, a conversion to 24Bit / 176.4kHz PCM provides sufficient headroom to ensure full preservation of sound quality|
|****||ReplayGain is an optimized RMS normalization, avoiding dynamic compression or other interferences with the original music|